A motion control system has a lot going on. This is what the basic system looks like:
• A motion controller sets the system in… well, in motion. There are programmed points or responses to feedback. The controller has to control both position and speed.
• A drive reacts to the instructions from the controller and makes the actuator move.
• An actuator moves when the drive tells it to. We specialize in Indramat components, so for us this is usually an Indramat servo motor.
• Feedback sensors send information about position and velocity to the controller, closing the feedback loop.
• Finally, mechanical components translate the motion of the motor into the desired motions for the machine.
Robotics requires multiple closely coordinated motion control systems, while a conveyor belt might operate with a much simpler system. All motion control systems are founded on this basic system.